CLUB PRESENTATION EVENTS
Ethan Le Blanc Selected in the Queensland U12 Schoolboy Team
Lets sing out loud the Carina War Cry
In 1958, a group of men headed by Jack Donnelly decided that the children in the areas of Camp Hill and Carina should have their own football club, halfway through that season, they registered the Easts Carina Junior Rugby League Football Club. In the first year, 2 teams (under14 and 16) played only in an unofficial capicity against whichever sides had byes.They wore yellow jerseys with white collars and black cuffs.
In the next year, 1959, Easts Carina was officially recognised and their 2 teams played their first fixtures. The first committee was established and consisted of Jack Donnelly (President), Norm Moore (Secretary), Garth Midgley(Treasurer), Bruce Broomfield, Dale Coogan, Tom Cooper and Leo Hyman.
1960 Easts Carina was represented in 3 age groups (under 14,15 and 17), and the club advanced to 4 teams in 1961. This year also saw a change in the football jerseys to orange with a white V and black cuffs as designed by Bruce Broomfield Snr and Dale Coogan. The club emblem of a panther's head between goal posts was also initiated by Dale Coogan in this year.
Our club's 5th birthday in 1962 was a very important milestone as this was the first year we were able to play fixtures on our own home ground, which was the Allan Ramsey Oval, still adjacent to the Carina Bowls club (older players still refer to this as the "gravel pit"). to begin with tents were used as dressing sheds, but in August, dressing sheds and a canteen were built. Neville Taylor had the honour of being the first ever Easts Carina player to be selected to represent Brisbane.
In 1963, our under 14-6 stone division team was undeafeated, winning both the President's Cup and Premiership and we advanced to fielding 6 teams in 1964.
In this same year, MR Ted Seipel, Secretary of Eastern Suburbs JRLFC, organised a district competition for the little fellows from the clubs of Easts, Easts Carina, Easts Mt Gravatt and East Brisbane which was a great success (these little footballers became known as the "mighty midgets").
This competition led to the formation of the minor league in 1965 in which Easts-Carina competed. Kerry Bird (A long serving club coach) was a member of our under 10 midget team that played that year.
The 1966 and 1967 seasons saw Easts Carina getting bigger and stronger and in 1968 the club's new ground, the Leo Williams Oval (where it is today) came into being with the dressing sheds and canteen being situated under the old Chadwick Hall.
1969 saw the inaugural visit to Easts-Carina by Greenacres club who took the shield back to Sydney with them.
A New Zealand team from Huntley South also visited and played against us in that year.
The referee's shed(now long gone) was erected in 1970 and Greenacres hosted 4 of our teams and we won the series and returned with the shield.
To view Carina Club History in full text please click on Document download.